Spring Clean - toxic overload?

The sun is out, lockdown is easing and it’s time to shake out those rugs, throw open the windows and clean the house which, for many, has been a safe haven for the last twelve months during the current pandemic. As we mark AllergyUK’s Allergy Awareness Week from 26-30 April, we spare a thought for all those afflicted by allergies.

In the UK, there are around 21 million people living with allergies; this is one of the highest prevalence rates of allergic conditions in the world and means that around one in three of us (no matter what our age) are living with an allergy. (AllergyUK)

But in our quest to eradicate the triggers of our allergies in our living space which, in turn, has become our working space in the last year, are we making the situation worse using disinfectants that pose a greater threat to our health than the allergy itself? Toxic ingredients can trigger or irritate existing respiratory problems and cause allergic contact dermatitis, for example.

“If you regularly clean your house, you are at a higher risk of suffering from some form of contact dermatitis than if you don’t. There have been many studies on the subject, some with dramatic results; one study found that over 81% of cleaners suffer from some form of occupational hand dermatitis. In addition, some cleaning products have been shown to directly cause new-onset asthma, as well as trigger attacks, in both adults and children; ingredients may contribute to asthma through two main mechanisms, ‘sensitising’ or ‘irritating.” (Safehouseholdcleaning.com) Liskowsky J, Geier J, Bauer A. (2011) Contact allergy in the cleaning industry: analysis of contact allergy surveillance data of the Information Network of Departments of Dermatology, Contact Dermatitis. 2011 Sep;65(3):159-66)

Brought to the UK last year in direct response to the current pandemic, harmless and effective MicroSafe, which has a proven track record of combatting epidemics around the world for over 20 years, is becoming the preferred solution for many as it has multi-purpose and universal uses in disinfecting without posing any threats to our health.

MicroSafe is 99.9999% (Log 6) effective in killing viruses including Covid-19 (Sars-CoV-2), bacteria and allergens such as fungal spores within a contact time of 30 seconds - that means you only have to leave it on a surface for 30 seconds for it to kill pathogens.

The patented and internationally approved Microcyn® electrochemical technology that underpins MicroSafe produces Hypochlorous Acid (HOCl) similar to the natural HOCl produced by the human immune system. This process results in a pH balanced, non-toxic, non-corrosive disinfectant that is free from harmful chemicals such as additives and alcohol that could harm health, equipment and the environment and, crucially, causes no allergic reaction.

Dr Damien Downing President of the British Society for Ecological Medicine is one of only a handful of doctors in the UK who treats patients with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity) and was quoted on the BBC as saying: "Chemical companies produce four million registered chemicals and we never know what we're exposed to at any one time."

Richard Merry, whose wife and son both suffer from allergies, his son, in particular, has to carry an EpiPen everywhere due to anaphylaxis, uses MicroSafe throughout his house to avoid them suffering and cautions people to consider carefully what they are using to clean their houses;

“Most of us don’t think about disinfectants and cleaning products causing or exacerbating allergic reactions, but sufferers know better – I would urge everyone to check the label and, if necessary, go online in search of a Safety Data Sheet which the company should be prepared to send you if it is not on their website.”